Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV (+) ICU Nurse,...
Mar 13, 2001

Hi everyone, I work as nurse in the ICU unit of a large inner city hospital. I was diagnosed HIV (+) late last year. Disclosing my HIV status, or thinking of changing my field of practice has never been an issue, but I thought I'd run this one by you anyway. In my daily practice I do NOT perform invasive procedures myself(that is, I do not place a central line or a cathteter myself, etc), but I do deliver routine care of invasive catheters and lines necessary for hemodynamic monitoring, such as changing dressings, "flushing", etc. I have always used universal precautions (body substance isolation) religiously, even before my seroconversion. My question is: Am I obligated to disclose my HIV status to my manager, or consider changing my line of work as nurse? I honestly don't believe I pose a risk to any of my patients. Thasnks for your advice.

Response from Ms. Breuer

The key to your question is your scrupulous use of universal precautions. That's the best precaution for you and for your patients. No, you do not need to disclose unless your hospital has posted a policy that specifically requires an HIV+ employee to disclose. Even then, I'd question the logic behind the policy before I disclosed.

We need you. Please stay there!

Previous
Ratio of infected people
Next
Reasonable Accommodation

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.