Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

AIDS diagnosed
Sep 15, 2003

I was diagnosed with AIDS in Dec. 99. I was given the AIDS diag. because of Kaposis Sarcoma on my legs and shoulders and low cell count. At this time I feel heathly since being on the meds since Dec. 99. My cell count is over 500. Most of the lesions have gone away except for some on my legs. They are taking alot longer to disappear. My question is: am I considered disabled? Also do I qualify for medicare? I am concerned if I lose my health insurance. Thank you

Response from Ms. Breuer

Whether you are considered disabled is a matter that the Social Security Administration decides, if that is the definition of disabled that you're thinking of. You don't say anything about whether you're working. If you can work, I strongly encourage you to do so. Given the way that so many people with HIV are improving on HAART, the SSA is becoming much more restrictive about that "disabled" label, and some people who really should be classified as disabled are having difficulty obtaining that classification. Please contact a benefits counselor about that health insurance question. That's your lifeline right now. Please check with your local AIDS service organization, or with www.helpwithbenefits.com, to get reliable information.

Previous
unjustified termination lawsuit
Next
Conflicting Answers To Same Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.