The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

insurance comparision
Sep 12, 2003

As a graduate from college I must say good-bye to my parent's wonderful plan (Blue Cross Blue Sheild of Marlyand). Now that I am looking at different employers I am wondering what is the best way to obtain the insurance coverage of a potential employer (i.e databases, finding booklet of benefits, other employees)? I would like to be able to consider this infomation along with the rest of the job package? And if so, what can I do this without putting up a huge red flag? And as a side note if I am unable to land a job immediately after I graduate (or 63 days later) am I eligible for COBRA? Thank you so much for your time.

Response from Ms. Breuer

Great question. You can ask general questions about the insurance plan in the interview, but of course you don't want to appear fixated on the insurance benefits in that setting. I suggest casually requesting a copy of the Plan Summary, which is the booklet they distribute to employees covered by the plan, explaining that you need to compare the benefits package with the package offered by another potential employer. (Double benefit: you get the information you need, you imply that you have competing offers.)

As to COBRA, I do not know how the termination of your parents' benefit would affect your situation. Please pose that part of the question to Lynn Franzoi at this site--she's the expert in that area. I wish you well. I think you're going to be fine!

Insurance issues and Canada
hiv+ people

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.