insurance comparision

As a graduate from college I must say good-bye to my parent's wonderful plan (Blue Cross Blue Sheild of Marlyand). Now that I am looking at different employers I am wondering what is the best way to obtain the insurance coverage of a potential employer (i.e databases, finding booklet of benefits, other employees)? I would like to be able to consider this infomation along with the rest of the job package? And if so, what can I do this without putting up a huge red flag? And as a side note if I am unable to land a job immediately after I graduate (or 63 days later) am I eligible for COBRA? Thank you so much for your time.

Response from Ms. Breuer

Great question. You can ask general questions about the insurance plan in the interview, but of course you don't want to appear fixated on the insurance benefits in that setting. I suggest casually requesting a copy of the Plan Summary, which is the booklet they distribute to employees covered by the plan, explaining that you need to compare the benefits package with the package offered by another potential employer. (Double benefit: you get the information you need, you imply that you have competing offers.)

As to COBRA, I do not know how the termination of your parents' benefit would affect your situation. Please pose that part of the question to Lynn Franzoi at this site--she's the expert in that area. I wish you well. I think you're going to be fine!

Insurance issues and Canada
hiv+ people