Insurance issues and Canada

Dear Dr. Nancy ,..I was informed by my insurance carrier that my cobra insurance will be expiring in Jan 2004 and that my conversion coverage premium will jump to a whopping 1029.00 per month ,..I dont know how long I'l be able to pay this amount, so I think it would be cheaper to buy my meds at half price from Canada and drop the insurance , somthing tells me to hang onto the insurance as long as I possibly can . How do I get in contact with canada for the medication for H I V and pricing . ?thanks ,...down and out in Fresno, Ca. One other thing I was informed by my Doctors office that the a.d.a.p. program will be shutting it's doors ,.. due to the faltering budget deficit .

Response from Ms. Breuer

Response from Ms. Breuer

Please remember what's happening to ADAP when you vote.

Call your local AIDS service organization right away and ask where you can find information about ordering your meds from Canada. We don't have that information here, but would welcome a referral if a reader does. Please let us know! Also ask what they know about coming restrictions on ADAP. The version your got from your provider sounds extreme to me. I live in California, and I don't think that information is entirely correct.

Depending on your financial situation, you could also contact the pharmaceutical companies that manufacture your meds. Sometimes they provide assistance for people who cannot afford the meds. Ask your pharmacist what s/he knows about other ways to access meds.

Here's a question: how much are your meds and office visits and other HIV-related services/treatments per month? How much would they be if you had to change meds, which is inevitable at some point for everyone on therapy? Which is higher: the cost of the treatment and meds, or the cost of the insurance? I think your instinct is good. Hold onto that insurance as long as you can.

TITLE XLIV CIVIL RIGHTS
insurance comparision