HIV positive/military

Last week a friend of mine tested positive for HIV. He is a Captain in the airforce. I do know that people can not enter the military if they test positive, but what about members who are already in the military. I have looked at the questions you have answered, but I have found responses that are in contradiction. Was the law that Clinton signed a few years ago ever repealed? Can HIV positive people serve in the military if they test positive after their entry. I thought that maybe with Bush in office and with all the wonderful things he has done for HIV/AIDS that the Clinton law may have been repealed. If you are not sure, can you refer me to a service that would know. Also, what is the logic behind the law? How does someone who is positive pose a risk to others? Even in a combat situation, don't we use universal precautions?

Response from Ms. Breuer

As I understand current military practice, employees are tested for HIV periodically and are removed from active duty if they test positive, even if they are stationed in the US. This practice pre-dates Clinton and will probably last well past Bush 2.

I am told that the logic is that military employees are subjected to conditions in which risks of exposure to others are higher, and short-notice transfusions may be necessary.

Just as an aside, apart from talking about AIDS money for Africa, Bush 2 hasn't done anything "wonderful" about AIDS, unless he did it while I was sleeping last night. Follow the money. None has been sent yet.

Discrimination at Work !
Recently diagnosed and overwhelmed