Discrimination at Work !

I told by boss that I was positive and asked her not to tell anyone. After I left the company I found out that was a rummor that I was HIV positive and that the same manager who I comfided had mention it had started this rummor. I dont know what to do. Im very upset and hurt by this. I want to know if by law my health status is protected even if I had left the company and what I can do?

Response from Ms. Breuer

How much can you prove?

That's the question you have to answer before you decide whether to act. The fact is that your right to privacy trumps any reason she could have for informing others.

But you probably can't prove that she violated your confidentiality rights, right? You could write her a letter. You could have a lawyer write her a letter. You could complain in writing to HER boss. You have to decide how far you want to take this.

But the root of the problem is that you told her your status. You did not have to do that. Your medical information is your own. Private. Confidential. I strongly suggest that in the future, you NOT tell your employer your status. You should be evaluated on the basis of your performance, period. Telling an employer your status just muddies the water unless you have an extraordinary boss.

AIDS contamination on jewelry
HIV positive/military