The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Upper Management telling Managers of HIV/AIDS employee condition
Sep 12, 2003

My friend works in a Convient store and in 1996 contracted AIDS. He told Area Salesmanager about this in strictest of confidentiality and not to tell anyone. He told 3 people in upper management. These 3 people have told every manager of the store since 1996 to this present day that he is HIV and he has asked them not to tell and they continue to do this. Is there anything he can do to make them stop revealing his medical condition? Sharon

Response from Ms. Breuer

Yes. Since this has gone as far as it has, I suggest that he move quickly to hire an attorney to write a warning letter to the employer. It won't cost a fortune, and he needs to demand compliance with his right to privacy or they will continue to ignore it. I would suggest that the lawyer's letter imply that the employee will not sue if the employer agrees to mandatory workplace HIV education for alll managers within 60 days.

This is not a task for "any old lawyer." He needs one who is knowledgeable about the ADA. Try the ACLU or your local AIDS service center for a referral to an appropriate lawyer.

Please don't wait another week. People lose their jobs over issues like this. And lawsuits don't solve the problem any faster than about 4 years after they're filed.

Meanwhile, I hope your friend has reconsidered the wisdom of revealing confidential medical information to an employer. These situations are more easily avoided than solved.

Same Health coverage diffirent Employer
AIDS contamination on jewelry

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint