Returning to work after disability leave

I have been on disability leave from my employer since July 17, 2001 due to a severe problem with my spine which resulted in three surgeries including anterior and posterior spinal fusion of four vertebrae. I just received clearance from my team of surgeons to return to work. I was shocked to find out that my boss will not accept me back at my place of employment, not only did I lose my position, but I was not offered any position in the company. What are the legal ramifications of my problem? Do I have any rights? I am/was employed in Chicago, IL.

Response from Ms. Gabriel

Your best bet would be to contact AIDS Legal Council of Chicago at 312.427.8990 or send an email through their website at

alleviate the fears of employees about AIDS in workplace
denied coverage just for being tested?