The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

workers comp
Aug 22, 2003

How deeply will workman's comp look into my medical history? I did not disclose at work when hired but the company paid insurance plan know through my record. do they look at that? It is too late to change the fact that I didn't tell workers comp my status when asked. Now i have to hope they dont find out. Can I still get meds and tests for HIV through the HMO while out on workers comp? Or do I have to pay my own way with new dr for them. My reason for being on WC has nothing to do with HIV, but I was afraid my empoyer would find out through them if I told them since they are self insured. A related question is can a US citizen use a canadian dr. if one pays for it himself.

Response from Ms. Franzoi

Workers' Compensation (W/C) will only look at medical records if a workers' compensation claim has been filed. And those records will be managed by the W/C administrator not the employer. So the employer shouldn't see those records. Furthermore, there would be no reason why the W/C administrator would look at medical records pertaining to your HIV status. For example, if you had a knee injury, they would want to know about other similar injuries but not an illness unrelated to the injury. W/C will only pay for medical costs associated with the W/C injury. You should use your regular health plan (which you state is an HMO) for any non-work related injuries or illnesses.

What should I do? Health Insurance ??
HIV and Life Insurance

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint