My employer made public my drug test

I am 21 and did somthing irresponsible and take full responsibility, with this in mind... I failed a drug test with my employer, and lost my job. I don't question this piece, I was wrong. Then my employer informs a "friend" of the family, who told another friend of the family, who called both my parents, (they are divorced). My mother tells another "friend" of the family, who at a neighborhood cook out, reveals this information to a table of 15 or more people. I live in a small town, now everyone knows. I was wrong, but the employer had no right to divulge this information to other people. I am contemplating legal action, what are your thoughts?

Response from Ms. Breuer

I don't see the HIV connection here, and I'm not a lawyer, so I'm not sure I can be much help. Did your employer violate your confidentiality? Absolutely. Is it actionable? Probably. You're 21. Do you have a few thousand dollars and five years to pursue a case? What's it worth to you? All I can tell you is that you have some big decisions to make about how you want to move on from this mess. Yes, your employer was a jerk. What you do about that is up to you.

Health Professional, Changing Employers, Medical benefits change?
Forced to Disclose HIV status at work