Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 

moving from Calif

How would giving up Cobra and moving to Germany affect my abbility to receive insurance in Ca again if I come back. When I move I will be insured fully in Germany..will this count as continued coverage if I move back to Cali? Thanks so much

Response from Ms. Franzoi

You have not provided enough information on the coverage you will have while in Germany. Is it employer-provided? Is it from a U.S.-based company and if so, what type of plan - local, U.S. or expatriate plan? Does that plan offer COBRA-like benefits if you were to leave?

With respect to your current coverage, when will your COBRA run out? After COBRA expires, did you plan on purchasing a HIPAA policy? Or would you qulaify for a standard plan?ition that would make a HIPAA plan your only option?

Your ability to purchase coverage when you return to the U.S. will depend on your health status at that time. Also, if you were to return to the U.S. to work for a company that offered group benefits, you should be eligible for that plan.

Disability and moving
COBRA former employer didn't apply