Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Prosecutors Disclosure to Newspaper.
Jul 21, 2003

This question isn't a perfect match for this forum, but it seemed the best place to ask this.

Recently I was in court and at that time the fact I have Advance HIV Disease was discussed within the context of the case.

Following this there was an article in our small town paper about my case. If you don't know about small town papers they always put your name, age and address in the article. In this article the Assistant Prosecutor stated in part "Unfortunately for us, Mr. Smith has AIDS...' Can he do that? I know that the transcript of the court records are considered public record, but a direct quote from the prosecutor? I live here with my wife and two kids. They are affected by this also. We've been told by friends, everything from sue them to report him to the Bar. Do we have a legal leg to stand on?

Response from Ms. Breuer

I'm not a lawyer, but this smacks of unauthorized disclosure to me. Yes, complain to your state Bar Association, but don't just complain. Ask about your options for redress. Your confidentiality has been violated for no good reason. If you don't get a satisfactory answer, please contact the American Bar Association AIDS Coordination Project in Washington, D.C. This is the kind of case they handle. Call them at 202.662.1025.

Previous
GENITAL RASH GROWING RAPIDLY
Next
Employee

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.