Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Butterfly Needle stick
Jul 21, 2003

I work in a bioavailability clinic and I was drawing blood on a subject who is supposed to be healthy. I jerked the butterfly needle line and it pulled out of his arm accidently. I rushed to clean up the blood and put the needle on some gauze. I had to get another butterfly, and so i reached for the butterfly and accidently stuck myself in my thumb. I pulled my hand back after feeling the stick and the needle fell out of the glove. There was blood in the needle, and when I took my glove off, i was pricked. I massaged my finger to make it bleed but it barely did. I swabbed it with alcohol repeatedly. This person had been screened and was in a study for healthy people, however, I know HIV can sometimes not be detected for up to six months. What are the chances that I could have contracted HIV? No blood was injected into my finger with a syringe, but i am worried about how much could have been injected if there was a drop of blood on the needle. We know who is in the HIV+ studies, and I have had no contact with those people, but do you think that a person who does have HIV could sneak through screening tests and be perceive to be healthy? Thanks, VERY WORRIED FOR MY LIFE

Response from Ms. Breuer

With this level of worry, please, please get yourself to an infectious disease doc in your workplace or nearby. We are not physicians here, and cannot ask you the follow-up questions that a qualified practitioner can ask right away. Sometimes you have to see a physician on an emergency basis. This appears to be one of them. I don't think you are at much risk, but your fear could impair your own performance on the job and thus increase your risk. Please: see an infectious disease doc and get this settled.

Previous
Hospital is requiring visits to it own M.D. requarding HIV
Next
AIDS at workplace

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.