Follow-up to: Medical Exams for Conditional Emplyment Offers

Hello Nancy,

I wanted to thank you for your time to answer to my question. I wanted to also let you know that I did get the job! I think that maybe I did not frame my question (answered on July 10th: http://www.thebody.com/Forums/AIDS/Workplace/Archive/Confidentiality/Q148648.html) as clearly as I would have hoped. The questionaire was not for insurance but part of the job application itself! In this case however this form gets filled out after a conditional offer of empoyment has been made (the offer was provided to me in written form). I checked with the American Disabilities Act and in summary a prospective employer can ask questions about ones health when (and I believe only when) a conditional offer of employment has been made. This questionaire is submitted while taking a physical and drup test. On my form I checked off 'other' (since HIV was not listed) and then indicated my status in the appropriate section. As I understand it, this medical questionaire is used to determine ones ability to perform your job functions or be a health risk to others. Since I amd other wise healthy and am not a health risk to co-workers I guess I was on solid ground (thankfully!).

It would have been ironic (in a very bad way) if I was denied employment since my offer package contained a brouchure on how big Pharma corporations are contributing to the fight against AIDS!

Thanks again for your help. Since being newly diagnosed (~ 8 months ago) I have found TheBody site to be very helpful. Thanks again! Regards

Response from Ms. Breuer

Congratulations on such a good outcome! I wish you many happy years at this job. Your situation is one of the reasons we exist. Go get 'em, Tiger!

Nancy

recently uninsured needs medication
Hospital is requiring visits to it own M.D. requarding HIV