The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Pre Employment Drug Testing
Jul 10, 2003

I am in the process of seeking new employment. The employer I am interested in conducts pre employment drug screening. I take Sustiva and know that a false positive result for canabinoids can occur. If I reveal to the lab conducting the testing that I take Sustiva, or for that matter, any other HIV drugs, can the lab notify the prospective employer of my meds? Secondly, if a positive result is returned, how do I ensure that a confirmatory test is done. I don't want my HIV status to eliminate me from a possible job based on a false positive test result.

Response from Ms. Breuer

According to a respondent on this site who went through the same experience with Sustiva, you can ask whether the sample will be subjected to GC/MS (gas chromatography/mass spectometry) testing. IF so, you'll be fine. If the sample is subjected to a different test and it comes back positive for cannabis, ask that it be re-evaluated with GC/MS. Explain that you are on medication that can yield a false result, but do not identify the med. Offer to have your doc write a confirmatory letter about the false positive WITHOUT naming the med or your diagnosis. All this is valid unless you do smoke pot, in which case this advice wouldn't help you, of course.

Even if your HIV status were known by your prospective employer, your status should not prevent you from being hired. But that's ideal. You're smart to protect your privacy. Strength to you!

Can HIV+ Woman get health insurance?
Concerned friend

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint