Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Possible eye exposure?
Jul 10, 2003

Hello, I was helping with the changing of a soiled bed patient in a facility. I had used a wash glove and washed his backside that was full of fecal matter and blood. I had a gloved hand. After there was no visible blood/bowel on my glove, I had been wetting some wash clothes to help in the procedure, I went to get some bags and when I unroled them something splashed in my eye, I assume it to be water. But can not be sure(again nothing else visible) I told the charge nurse who was not at all worried, said that patient was there to die, he was old and did not have anything I could get. She washed out my eye (told me this was for my own peice of mine) but I later found out it was with her own personal drops. I have decided medicine is not for me because this has bothered me terribly. Do you think that the nurse is correct that I do not need to worry? Thanks

P.S I did elect to go the Dr. who is following the CDC guidlines because I am worried.

Response from Ms. Breuer

Your supervisor is correct. You were not put at risk. I trust she's not assuming that he couldn't have had HIV because he is old. And had you been exposed to blood, then hepatitis B or C could possibly have presented a risk. But you weren't exposed to blood. Please read the transmission section of this website so that your anxiety can go to sleep. It's terrible to feel that you are at risk every day in your job, especially when, in the situation you described, you are not.

Previous
FAA First Class Medical issuance to Pilots operating under CFR Part 14 FAR 91/121/135
Next
A boss that thinks he's GOD

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.