must an employer provide restrooms physically accessable to all employees

My employer moved his business into a new structure. I work third shift, have arthritis, and cannot climb stairs. Downstairs restrooms are locked at night to prevent "walk-off" from the warehouse onto office carpets. I reminded my boss of my disability and asked that I be allowed to have access to the downstairs restrooms. He refused. Do I have any legal rights for expecting accommodation?

Response from Ms. Breuer

Yes, you do. Ask your physician to write a request for a reasonable accommodation as defined by the ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) and don't submit it to your boss. Submit it to your HR director or an officer of the company. Most bosses have no training in reasonable accommodation and wouldn't know the ADA from an ice cream truck. The letter should not mention your diagnosis, by the way. It should stress your functional limitation (that's ADA language for the fact that you cannot climb stairs).

disclosure in the workplace
Girl Scout privacy