Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

i recently tested hiv+ can my insurance co tell my employer
Jul 3, 2003

i recently tested positive for hiv..i had applied for life insurance and they did a swab test found antibodies turned me down and sent my results and said they were sending my name to a list...this is a private company and not related to my employer...in the past i got tested on a regular basis and until now i have been negative...i also was told that the swab test i was given was to test for drugs not hiv .i am in the process of the home access hiv blood test which i have taken before and waiting on those results..i think you would agree after i get those results whether it comes back neg or pos im going to my local health dept to have another test and let them know what is going on.i have been with my employer for 5 years and im not telling anyone at work for the risk i may get fired..a couple of life long friends know and i trust them..i do have health insurance and a regular doctor ...he doesnt know yet..i plan on going to him after i goto the health dept..will my insurance company tell or relay my status to my employer because of the drugs i may be receiving? united health care is my insurance co..do you think i should try and find another way do get the meds and medical attention im going to need ...i feel great besides being scared to death and am not having any symptoms but i know i need to start something very soon for my future health....if u could help me with this i thank you so much :P)

Response from Ms. Franzoi

The insurance company cannot disclose your condition to your employer. You have protection under HIPAA to maintain your confidentiality.

Previous
pre-existing conditions and long term care
Next
Early Retirement Penalty

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.