Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Changing Jobs, Changing States
Jul 2, 2003

3. Thanks for your advice. I am currently positive 2 years, healty, undectectable and on meds. Today I was offered a major job from a different employer in Washington State which I would love to accept. My new insurance will kick in after the first 6 mos of employment and the new firm will pay my Cobra for the transistion. My questions are these.... 1. How is Cobra affected if my current HMO is in Calif. and not Washington?.... 2. How will Life Insurance and LTD again paid by employer be affected? Are they similar to the rules governing preexisting condition. I have been covered by current employer for the past 15 years with no laspes. Thanks again for your advise.

Response from Ms. Franzoi

1. If you move to Washington and your current employer doesn't have employees in Washington or does but doesn't offer an HMO there, your only option would be to elect to participate in another plan that your current employer offers such as a PPO, indemnity, etc. If the only plan your employer offers is an HMO and he doesn't have an HMO in Washington, there wouldn't be any health care coverage available for you under COBRA.

2. There would be no impact on your life insurance under an employer-paid group plan up to whatever amount is guaranteed regardless of health status (called guaranteed issue). However, if you were to apply for supplemental life insurance (a voluntary employee-paid plan), the amount you could buy, if any, would be limited.

3. With respect to LTD, the new plan will probably have a pre-existing condition clause which would not cover an AIDS-related disability if it occurs during your first 12 months of coverage. This is the most typical clause in LTD plans.

Previous
disability question
Next
National Health Insurance

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.