Changing Jobs, Changing States

3. Thanks for your advice. I am currently positive 2 years, healty, undectectable and on meds. Today I was offered a major job from a different employer in Washington State which I would love to accept. My new insurance will kick in after the first 6 mos of employment and the new firm will pay my Cobra for the transistion. My questions are these.... 1. How is Cobra affected if my current HMO is in Calif. and not Washington?.... 2. How will Life Insurance and LTD again paid by employer be affected? Are they similar to the rules governing preexisting condition. I have been covered by current employer for the past 15 years with no laspes. Thanks again for your advise.

Response from Ms. Franzoi

1. If you move to Washington and your current employer doesn't have employees in Washington or does but doesn't offer an HMO there, your only option would be to elect to participate in another plan that your current employer offers such as a PPO, indemnity, etc. If the only plan your employer offers is an HMO and he doesn't have an HMO in Washington, there wouldn't be any health care coverage available for you under COBRA.

2. There would be no impact on your life insurance under an employer-paid group plan up to whatever amount is guaranteed regardless of health status (called guaranteed issue). However, if you were to apply for supplemental life insurance (a voluntary employee-paid plan), the amount you could buy, if any, would be limited.

3. With respect to LTD, the new plan will probably have a pre-existing condition clause which would not cover an AIDS-related disability if it occurs during your first 12 months of coverage. This is the most typical clause in LTD plans.

disability question
National Health Insurance