COBRA and Disability

Hi. Thanks so much for your continued help. Your advice has been so helpful to me.

I am currently disabled and receiving health insurance from my former employer. When I come off disability I'd love to go back to my old job but doubt it will be available - my company is downsizing. Will COBRA be available to me and will it be for 18 months or 36 months? Also I am elligable for Medicare. Is there anything I should be aware of in regards to that? Thanks.

Response from Ms. Franzoi

I need more information in order to answer your question. When you come off of disability, I am assuming that the health coverage your employer is offering you will cease. Is that correct? If so, you should be eligible for COBRA. What you need to do is review your summary plan descriptions for both your medical coverage and your disability coverage to determine what is available. If you are disabled at the time your medical coverage ends, COBRA would be available for up to 36 months. However, one of the triggering events to ending COBRA prior to the 36 months is if you become eleigible for Medicare after electing COBRA.

valium vs diazepam
Short term confusion??