HIV+ Activist

This is a non-scientific question, but one that bugs me: "Why do some AIDS organizations hide behind privacy, confidentiality walls?"

I have dementia and do not remember some people's names. When I help someone, I do not care to get their name at the time of the incident but would like to follow up but do not know how without the name of the individual I assisted.

I understand the need for maintaining confidentiality but not to overkill the policy.

My question: What organization or body makes this policy and also, why do we have to overkill the topic?

Thank you

Response from Ms. Breuer

The right to privacy is embedded in the Constitution of the United States. People's medical information is their own business. If you are comfortable with people knowing your diagnosis, that's your choice. Many people do not choose to share medical information. They have that right. Who's "hiding"? What would you do differently if you knew? If you tell me you'd be more careful, I suggest using that level of care all the time. Does that make sense?

hiv/aids
Infected from food in workplace