Counld my HIV status be th reason I got fired.

I was let go from my place of employement after 16 years. What is unsetting to me is, I don't know why. The only thing that was said to me was "We don't think you have what it takes to go forward with this company" I have never had nothing but good reviews and was never told anything negative about my performance. I have resently got married and also added my husband to my insurance. We are both positive and I was wondering if this would be a burden on my companies Health Insurance cost and they just decided to get rid of me. *I am very private about my status and wish to keep it this way. If I push the issue I am afraid it will get out of my status. I don't know if I should just ignore this feeling or should I talk with a lawyer.

Response from Ms. Breuer

In the absence of a good reason and a history of good performance reviews, you would have every reason to question this development. The question you have to ask yourself is whether you want to spend your time, energy and money to regain a job with people who treat you this way.

Did you disclose HIV status on the insurance application? If so, that could be related to your difficulties. There are ways to respond to health questionnaires without revealing diagnosis. If your company used it to fire you, that was clearly illegal, but you would have to go to great expense to prove it.

One of your options is to move on, get a new job, and tell them when they hand you the health questionnaire that you need to take it home to complete it because you want to ask your doctor a few questions. Then do exactly that. Ask your doctor how you can answer truthfully, but not state the diagnosis. "Under treatment for a viral infection; no complications" is one way. Just don't lie. That never works on insurance applications.

Another option is to talk with a lawyer. It's your call.

Caregiver HIV+
job loss in local companies