Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 

Dementia - How to describe

Dementia was a part of my AIDS diagnosis. I am recovering nicely according to my physician and others who know me. I need help in describing dementia in simple terms that others will be able to understand. Whenever I mention that I have dementia, I get a "I'm so sorry" response usually given in a supportive way. However, I do not want to give a medical school course in dementia but I would like to create a bit of understanding in others about the disease and that I am not crazy, and not put them down. I think I know a little bit via the internet but who can carry a computer around and have a POWER POINT presentation at hand. Please help me or point me to a source that will assist me.

Jerry Clark

Response from Ms. Breuer

Dear Jerry, You've asked a thoughtful question. I love your image of carrying a computer with a PowerPoint presentation around all the time. Here's something easier: go to several AIDS Websites such as aegis.com, positivewords.com and this site and check out the definitions they offer. Many HIV sites offer information for newly-diagnosed patients, and those tend to have the best simple definitions. Print the one that makes the best sense to you, cut the piece of paper down to the size of a 3x5 card and keep that in your pocket. Instant PowerPoint. I wish you well, and take care!

Incompetent HIV+employee who is threatening to sue
Informing HR managers of HIV status