Uninsured and Unemployed

I have been unemployed for a little over a year and foolishly allowed my insurance coverage to lapse. I just tested positive 2 weeks ago. I have 2 questions, I have never been asked to submit to a physical for a group health plan (I've always worked for large companies, Citicorp, Compaq, etc. But I have also never gone this long uncovered. Will I be asked to submit to an examination and can I be denied coverage as this is a "pre-xisting condition". What laternatives do I have? My GP wants me to see an Infectious Disease specialist to get Viral lode and CD4 counts done, but I am reluctant to do this and establish a paper trail that proves my status.

Response from Ms. Franzoi

If you were to become employed by a company with a group medical plan, you would be eligible for coverage. You would not have to submit to an examination to qualify for the coverage. However, there might be a pre-existing condition clause in the plan that would exclude treatment for up to 12 months for an illness that you were treated for prior to coverage under the plan.

loss of employee benifits.
Incompetent HIV+employee who is threatening to sue