Primary vs. Secondary

Dear Experts, I medically retired from a self insred municipality in July 2001 due to liver disease. My husband is covered by a difference company and am considered to be a dependent on his. My insurance co has now decided that since my husband "is the spouse who is actively employed" that his ins co is primary. His ins co says no, my insurance is primary. So in a nutshell I have two insurance and a whole lot of bills that are not getting paid. My former company has informed me that since they are self-insured that they can do anything they want and refuse to pay any of my bills even though I continue to pay the mo premium.

It has always been my understanding that whoever holds the insurance is primary and any other insurance would be secondary.

Have you every run across this problem before???

Thanks for your help!

Denise

Response from Ms. Franzoi

You need to review the summary plan descriptions for both your plan and your husband's plan. These will explain how each plan determines when that plan is primary and when it is secondary. This should help you determine which plan is primary.

Returning to Work after SSDI
Changing jobs what happens to my medical coverage