Job hunting after being on LTD for 7 years

I have been on LTD since 1997. I am progressing rather well now and myh doctor thingks I can return to work in the net 6-12 months. I can return to my old job but also am interested in applying for a couple of other positions with other companies as well. My question is on the reume you usually give dates of employment (most recent first). SInce I have not worked since 1997 I am very confused on how to deal with this issues. Shoudl I put I have been on LTD an dlooking for employment. Can they ask me why I was on disability? Any help you can give me would be most appreciated. Thank you.

Response from Ms. Breuer

When you return to work, it's best to keep your medical information confidential. You can simply state that you were caring for a serious illness in the family. Whose illness? What was it? None of their business. You'd rather not go into detail. Then move the interview along to talk about how you'd like to use your skills to the employer's advantage. Focus on your skills and accomplishments, not on your resume gap. You could even talk about the new skills you acquired while serving as a caregiver (your own, of course). Anyone who thinks it's easy to live on LTD and manage a major illness just isn't thinking. YOu had to use organizational skills, time management skills, patience...you get the idea. Good luck!

Returning to work after Disability
Texas worries