The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Self employed health insurance coverage
Feb 24, 2003

I have been self employed for several years and have been covered under a partner's health insurance plan. This relationship is ending and I will no longer be covered. Being self employeed and HIV+, can I get coverage on an individual policy?

Response from Ms. Franzoi

I am assuming you are covered as a domestic partner under a group health plan offered to your partner. If so, check with your partner to see if his company offers COBRA-like benefits to domestic partners upon dissolution of the partnership. If so, apply for this. If not, contact a local insurance broker about applying for a HIPAA policy. You would be eligible for a HIPAA policy provided you do not have a lapse in coverage that exceeds 63 days.

Insurance concern
Switching Coverage

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint