LTD canceled after years

Hi - I am HIV+, 16 years since infection. I worked for 13 years and was really sick from side effects of drugs, nueropathy, extreme fatigue and general inablility to concentrate and memory problems. I was asked by the President of my company to go on LTD. I did and all was fine for 2 1/2 years - then the insurance company followed me with a video camera on one day when I went out with a friend for lunch at a mall. The insurer says I was shopping and am fine to return to full time work. I was eating in a restaurant - after a 6 month investigation - their words - they canceled me Feb 21 - effective Jan 31 - Three weeks ago! I have recently had severe hyper sensitivity reaction to new treatment and had to be taken off tratment - I sleep about 16 hours a day - I have low stamina - use painkillers daily to kill pain of neuropathy in one foot - What should I focus on in my appeal - do you have any advice on how to proceed. I do have the support of my Doctors, Psychiatrist, family and even my company.

I am desperate - I earned 80K a year and losing this LTD is a major heartship for me - My COBRA expires in 7 days so I also have to pay for RX's going forward - which I was prepared for - so now - I am faced with do I pay my mortgage or buy drugs? I am really frantic and feel that the insurance has a fiduciary responsibility to honor my claim - I am not better - I am not getting better and though I remain alive - I do not think I could tolerate full time work - Help! Thanks - your forum is a god send to me when I worry at night and need some good solid information.

Jeanne

Response from Ms. Franzoi

I suggest you contact an attorney who specializes in long term disability claims and work with him and your doctors to appeal the denial. The insurance company should've provided you with information on how to file an appeal. If not, contact them for this and take it to your attorney with supporting documentation from your doctors on the nature of your disability.

Insurance company releasing information to employer
Insurance concern