Insurance company releasing information to employer

After living with the virus for 10 years, I moved and change jobs. Its been 2 1/2 years of employment and we recently changed insurance carrier. Its been approximatly 2 months since the new insurance company took over, and I was approched by a corporate employee about my medications. She had a full list of all of the medications that I been taking and did mention that it was confidential info that only herself and another person has access to. Can the insurance company legally release the names of all the medications that I am taking to my employer?

Response from Ms. Franzoi

It depends on several factors - whether the plan is insured or self-insured, what the employer's role is, etc. However, there are confidentiality requirements that the employer must maintain if he has access to individually identifiable health information. The rules governing this become even stricter as of April 14, 2003 (as required by HIPAA).

Follow up on becoming self-employed
LTD canceled after years