The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

mit placed on LTD benefits
Feb 3, 2003

I am on LTD for hiv related medical problems, both physical and psychological. My LTD carrier is imposing a 24 month limit on my benefits. The hiv related manifestations and symptoms,which are well documented in the medical records, are being treated as separate, limited conditions by the insurance company to justify imposing a 24 month limit on my benefits. Nowhere in the approval letter from my insurer is the term "hiv disease" mentioned. How do I go about getting the primary disabling condition, which is hiv disease, documented as the primary disabling condition by the insurance company ? Thanks so much for your advice. Carl

Response from Ms. Franzoi

Check your LTD policy to determine how to file an appeal. Typically, you will need a statement from your doctor with supporting documentation that clarifies that your primary illness is HIV-related physical problems with psychological problems as secondary. Submit a formal appeal of their 24-month limitation on benefits by virtue of their classification of your disability to be due to a mental or nervous disorder rather than a physical disability. If after this appeal, they deny the extension of your benefits beyond the 24-month period, you will probably have to get legal consul to assist you in getting your benefits extended on the basis of your physical disability.

Expat health insurance
cancaling my wife health ins

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint