Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Can One Be HIV+ and a Nurse?
Feb 2, 2003

I recently posted this question on the general board, but someone kindly suggested it would be better answered here. I tested positive seven months ago and have since come to believe that I might make a fine nurse in an HIV or related area. I have looked into nursing programs at two local colleges. I have believed it ethical to contact the department chairs at each of these schools to ask if my HIV status would pose a problem, but to my surprise neither will return my calls and the reception has been chilly, to say the least. Will HIV pose a problem, if not a barrier, in this occupation? If so, I would certainly like to know about it now before I begin schooling. Thank you!

Response from Ms. Breuer

I know several very competent, successful HIV+ nurses. They all have kept their mouths shut at school and eventually at work about their diagnosis. Which is what I advise you to do.

Go to nursing school at the place where you can get the best nursing education. When it comes time to apply for nursing jobs, write again. I can help you with some good ways to navigate the job search. Good luck!

Previous
Do I have a Case
Next
Medical insurance droped when requesting info on return to work

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.