Protocol for feminine hygiene disposal

The office building I work in does not have any supplied means for disposing of used feminine hygiene products except for flushing into the sewer system or depositing in the paper towel waste receptor. Neither of these options seems correct. What is the correct protocol for disposing of such a product and is it the building owner's responsibility for providing this service to the tenants?

Response from Ms. Breuer

No little metal disposal units inside the bathroom stalls? Poor decision. As to whose responsibility it is: I have no idea. But if I were you, I'd gather a small group of women and ask the employer to provide for adequate disposal, on the grounds that the only options either clog the plumbing or are inadequate ways to dispose of bloody waste. Casually mention OSHA violation. Watch them spring into action.

Good for you! Human blood should be handled more carefully than they've allowed.

FMLA and HIV
An European going to th U.S