Fractures and surgery on persons with AIDS

I am a rehabilitation case manager helping an injured worker with his on the job injury (fx of the wrist). He disclosed to me that he has AIDS. He states that his doctors know, but his employer does not. He has been recommended to have a surgery to his wrist, including re-breaking the wrist and taking a bone fragment from his hip. Do persons with AIDS have impaired ability to heal from fractures? Is it reasonable to proceed with this procedure? I do not plan on relaying this medical information to his employer - only if the AIDS impedes his rehabilitation. What do you think?

Response from Ms. Breuer

There is no reason to relay his diagnosis to his employer. I am not a physician and cannot possibly recommend for or against the surgery; if his doctors have advised it, it is their responsibility to consider his HIV status.Your job remains unchanged: to help to recover from his on-the-job injury. It may well be that his HIV status has nothing to do with this medical situation.

Confidentiality
Status of SSDI