Disclosure and the Law

Hello. Could you please tell me what the Law is in Washington State for disclosure to a partner. Is there any legal rights to the poz person, if someone they date discloses there status. Your sight is the closest I could find to legal info. If you can't answer could you tell me where I could find out? I have searched the internet and can't find an answer. Thank you for your help. It is greatly appreciated.

Response from Ms. Breuer

You would need to talk with an attorney at your local AIDS service center to learn about Washington State law, but as far as I know, every state carries the requirement of disclosing HIV status to a prospective sexual or needle-sharing partner. In some states, failure to do so is a misdemeanor, in others it is a felony.

As for your own rights, you have the right to privacy. If someone else discloses your status without your permission and that disclosure leads to discrimination at work, in housing or other public accommodations, you have the protection of the ADA, but it's expensive and time-consuming to go that route. I recommend scheduling a session with your local AIDS service center attorney. It will save you all kinds of grief.

Can I accept academic possition within the US?
Notification of Changes in Insurance