The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Can I accept academic possition within the US?
Feb 2, 2003

Hello, I am have an offer to join US university as a postdoc in physics, is there any possibility to do so if I am HIV+? Will I be somehow cowered by medical insurance? Will the insurance company refuse me if I fill properly my status to some form? Thanks for coherent and complex answer.

Response from Ms. Breuer

The US has some of the world's most restrictive rules concerning travel to/living in the US on the part of people who have HIV. I urge you to turn to your consulate for help on this one. You could turn gray before our HIV immigration rules start to make sense. If you join the staff of a university, it is entirely likely that you will be covered by the health insurance plan. I'm just worried about getting you through customs.

age discrimination
Disclosure and the Law

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint