Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

returning to work/can't get insuredI have been living with HIV for 10 years. Over the past four years I have seen my general health improve to the point where I want to return to work. Further, my good health and progressively better lab results have put
Dec 26, 2002

I have been living with HIV for 10 years. Over the past four years I have seen my health improve to the point where I want to return to work.

I have an excellent job offer in Atlanta Georgia that offers a good salary, a way back into the workforce, andmmost importantly a way out of the isolation and sense of uselessness that comes with being disabled. Unfortunately this new job doesn't offer group medical insurance and my attempts to find an individual medical policy have all failed. It seems that no insurer will allow me to participate and my inquiries to the various HIV/AIDS service organizations in Atlanta into how to find insurance or some other mechanism for getting my antivirals have gone nowhere. Further my prospective salary puts me above the imcome ceiling for assistance programs yet isn't extravagant enough for me to afford to pay for these drugs out of pocket. Surely I'm not the only HIV positive person transitioning back into the workforce to hit this most serious of snags.

Does anyone have any advice?

Response from Ms. Breuer

Does your income put you above the Georgia ceiling for ADAP? If so, I regret that I don't have new ideas for you, except the suggestion that you contact the best benefits manager I know to ask about options. He is Jacques Chambers, and you can reach him at www.helpwithbenefits.com. I wish you well--you deserve this chance!

Previous
Return To Work & Age Discrimination
Next
debilitating drug side effects

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.