Long Term Disability

I am a 58 years old; was hospitalized and diagnosed with a sero-conversion of HIV in September 2002. I was out of work about 5 days. My company is switching insurance carriers and is offering a LTD option. Initially I was very happy about this presuming that it would have to pick up all applicants; but upon reading the application I discovered I must disclose days missed from work; sign releases of medical information from the hospital and possibly will not be accepted; also all medical information gathered will be put in medical information bank. I am very confused as to what to do. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Response from Ms. Franzoi

Typically, when a company (depending on its size) offers an LTD plan, there is an open enrollment period and all employees who are actively at work are eligible regardless of their health status. However, it appears that the plan being offered by your company (which might be a smaller company) doesn't have this open enrollment feature and requires evidence of good health to obtain the coverage. If you are interested in applying for the LTD coverage, the only way you could do this would be to complete the required questionnaire. However, LTD carriers typically do not extend coverage to people who are HIV positive.

claim processing by insurance company
Return To Work & Age Discrimination