Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

SSDI and back to work
Oct 31, 2002

Hi. Thanks for this forum. You all have been such a help to me.

I hope to go back to work in the beginning of next year. I will have been out of work for 2 years in February. I have SSDI (and LTD thru my old employer). Is it correct that I will continue to receive my SSDI for nine months regardless of income? I am a little confused, but that is what I thought the pamphlets said. If that is correct, do I have to do something special to trigger it? That appears very generous and I could really use the money since I am barely getting by right now and will owe money on my LTD at tax time.

Also, I will have been out of work for 2 years in February (and on SSDI for 18 months). Will that trigger Medicaid? Will that be affected by part time or full time work in January/February. Is Medicaid helpful if I private insurance. I saw some postings that implied so. I pay a 300 deductable and fortune in copays.

Thanks so much.

Response from Ms. Franzoi

If you are receiving Social Security disability benefits, you are encouraged to return to work if you are able to. Benefits can continue through a nine-month trial work period, plus an additionnal 3-month grace period. A month in which your earnings exceeed $560 (2002 dollar amount) is usually considered a month of trial work. After the three-month grace period, if you have a month of substantial gainful earnings ($780 in 2002), your benefits will be suspended. Benefits can be reinstated during a 36-month period for any month that earnings do not exceed the susbstantial gainful earnings level. Also, Medicare coverage can continue for up to 93 months after completion of the trial work period. Did you mean to inquire about Medicare not Medicaid. Medicare is available if you have been entitled to Social Security disability benefits for two years.

Previous
STD denial. My next step?
Next
employer long term disibility

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.