SSDI and back to work

Hi. Thanks for this forum. You all have been such a help to me.

I hope to go back to work in the beginning of next year. I will have been out of work for 2 years in February. I have SSDI (and LTD thru my old employer). Is it correct that I will continue to receive my SSDI for nine months regardless of income? I am a little confused, but that is what I thought the pamphlets said. If that is correct, do I have to do something special to trigger it? That appears very generous and I could really use the money since I am barely getting by right now and will owe money on my LTD at tax time.

Also, I will have been out of work for 2 years in February (and on SSDI for 18 months). Will that trigger Medicaid? Will that be affected by part time or full time work in January/February. Is Medicaid helpful if I private insurance. I saw some postings that implied so. I pay a 300 deductable and fortune in copays.

Thanks so much.

Response from Ms. Franzoi

If you are receiving Social Security disability benefits, you are encouraged to return to work if you are able to. Benefits can continue through a nine-month trial work period, plus an additionnal 3-month grace period. A month in which your earnings exceeed $560 (2002 dollar amount) is usually considered a month of trial work. After the three-month grace period, if you have a month of substantial gainful earnings ($780 in 2002), your benefits will be suspended. Benefits can be reinstated during a 36-month period for any month that earnings do not exceed the susbstantial gainful earnings level. Also, Medicare coverage can continue for up to 93 months after completion of the trial work period. Did you mean to inquire about Medicare not Medicaid. Medicare is available if you have been entitled to Social Security disability benefits for two years.

STD denial. My next step?
employer long term disibility