Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Right to know - Bitten by a child
Oct 31, 2002

My wife is a school teacher. A four year old student bit her on the leg breaking the skin and causing bleeding. The bite was through a light pair of cotton pants.There was saliva on the pants, but don't know if there was any on/in the wound. The school my wife works for will not give out any info regarding the childs medical condition, will notindicate if the child had the required shots for hepatitus. They will not even provide the phone number of the parents so we can follow-up. My two questions are: 1)What are the chances of being infected with HIV/AIDS,hepatitus,etc. by a bite like this? 2)Does my wife have a legal "Right to Know" about the childs health status, or even the parents phone number?

Response from Ms. Breuer

Your wife is in a position she shares with police officers, firefighters and paramedics in most jurisdictions. It's infuriating, isn't it? But the most important variable is one your letter doesn't mention: how long ago did this happen? Has your wife been tested? That's the part she has control over.

I assume the tests would be done at the school's expense, since this is an on-the-job injury. It is unlikely that infection would take place in the scenario you describe, and hepatitis is more likely than HIV. An HIV infection would require one of the child's infectious fluids to make contact with your wife's bloodstream, and that did not happen. Saliva doesn't transmit HIV. Hepatitis transmission through saliva is possible, but a remote risk.

Rather than pursuing an infectious disease argument, which you can resolve simply with a couple of tests that most likely will be negative, I'd suggest vigorously pursuing help for this child. A bite that draws blood is an indicator of big present and future problems.

To address the "right to know" language of your question: no, there is no right to know in this situation. There is every right to get tested, and thus know the bite victim's situation. And you have every right to pursue assertively a course of action at the school that will offer psychiatric evaluation of the child. I hope the child gets help soon.

Previous
HIV discrimination by insurance company
Next
PLEASE ANSWER THIS IS IMPORTANT

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.