Am I required to take fmla?

After, taking 5 CTO (combined time off) days for a heart problem (blockage). My employer is requiring me to take fmla. I didn't request it and don't want it at this time. They are also requesting a return to work documents from my doctor. Do I have to give them this information?

ps. CTO days are for vacation and sick days.

Thanks, Rich

Response from Ms. Breuer

Rich, Employers vary in their rules on when you should take FMLA. The general distinction between sick days and FMLA days is that you take FMLA days at your own expense, not theirs. Do you still have your employee handbook gathering dust in your desk--or on your hard drive? Check it first. The policy they apply to you should be the policy they apply to everyone. But I've often heard this before.

Requesting return to work documents from a doctor is pretty standard. Remind your doc that the documents need only to state that you have been under his/her care and are okayed to return to work. That's it. Diagnosis is none of your employer's business. A doctor's assessment that you are fit to return to work is their business.

Good luck, Rich. I'm glad you're well enough to return.

worry..
HIV discrimination by insurance company