Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Am I required to take fmla?
Oct 31, 2002

After, taking 5 CTO (combined time off) days for a heart problem (blockage). My employer is requiring me to take fmla. I didn't request it and don't want it at this time. They are also requesting a return to work documents from my doctor. Do I have to give them this information?

ps. CTO days are for vacation and sick days.

Thanks, Rich

Response from Ms. Breuer

Rich, Employers vary in their rules on when you should take FMLA. The general distinction between sick days and FMLA days is that you take FMLA days at your own expense, not theirs. Do you still have your employee handbook gathering dust in your desk--or on your hard drive? Check it first. The policy they apply to you should be the policy they apply to everyone. But I've often heard this before.

Requesting return to work documents from a doctor is pretty standard. Remind your doc that the documents need only to state that you have been under his/her care and are okayed to return to work. That's it. Diagnosis is none of your employer's business. A doctor's assessment that you are fit to return to work is their business.

Good luck, Rich. I'm glad you're well enough to return.

Previous
worry..
Next
HIV discrimination by insurance company

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.