Disability / Long-term Care Insurance

I am a 30 y.o. high school teacher who has had HIV for 5 years. I am quite healthy, have T-cells near 1,000 and have never been detectable.

I never had life insurance. I'm wondering do I have any options for disability/long-term care insurance as an HIV+ individual?

Are there any plans I should be making now for the long-term future in regards to insurance?

Finally, if I change jobs at some point, is HIV considered an existing condition and will it have any impact on getting health insurance at a new job?

Thanks so much!

Response from Ms. Franzoi

With an HIV diagnosis, you would not be able to purchase long term disability, long term care or life insurance on an individual basis. However, if you were to leave your current job and become employed in a job by an employer who offers these coverages and you sign up within the time frame for getting coverage without providing evidence of good health (ususally 30 days), you would be able to get the coverages through the new employer.

If you change jobs and your new employer has a health plan that has a pre-existing condition clause in it, your HIV status would be considered a pre-existing condition. However, if you don't go more than 63 days without coverage from the time your current coverage ends (including any COBRA you elect) and the date your new coverage starts, the new plan will have to recognize your prior coverage towards its pre-existing condition exclusion period. This means that if you have been covered for at least 12 months under your current plan (12 months is the maximum pre-exisitng condition period allowed in a plan), there would be no pre-existing condition clause applied to you.

Self-employed seeking insurance rates
Who really alredy knows?