European citizen

I am an European citizen who would like to stay in the US for a year minimum, I would arrange a job before going but I don't know if I have monstrate my HIV status to obtain the permission from the American authorities. Thank you very much.

Response from Ms. Breuer

U.S. policy regarding HIV-positive foreign nationals is not exactly our national pride and joy. It's complex. Because U.S. law does restrict the activities of HIV-positive foreign nationals, please obtain reliable information on U.S. policy from an organization that specializes in immigration and HIV. I would begin at the website of the U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service under U.S. government. They have jurisdiction. The people I have spoken to do not believe your status would be a problem, but you need specifics. For a referral to a source on HIV and immigration from a non-government agency, please check one of the large, wide-ranging AIDS-related websites such as www.aegis.com.

Best of luck, and I hope we'll welcome you here for a while!

Policy question
Recently hired w/pre-existing condition