Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Important Question
Oct 11, 2002

I would like to know if I get an offer of for a new job(I will have a degree in education in May so I want to teach)will I have to take a physical after I am hired? What if I just dont take the physical can I be fired? Also if I am buying a house with a home loan is there any way to secure a loan without life insurance? If I have to take out insurance for the loan would I have to submit to an HIV test to get the insurance and thus the loan? The reason I am asking these questions is I would like to protect my privicy as much as I can do so. Are there things I can do to avoid having to take medical test that might include an HIV test? PLEASE help I am very scared!

Response from Ms. Breuer

You are wise to work at protecting your privacy. These days, maintaining privacy requires more work than ever.

First, if you take a job with a school system it is highly unlikely that you will have to undergo a blood test. You're more likely to be asked to complete a "health questionnaire," and you'll find a number of responses from me on this website about how to handle that.

If you apply privately for life insurance in any state, you can be sure you'll be tested for HIV. I am not an expert on the relationship between home loans and life insurance; you'll need to ask your lender those questions. But if you take a teaching job for which one benefit is a group life insurance policy, that problem will be solved. Joining a group that has a group life insurance policy normally does not subject you to any kind of physical.

If I were you, I'd begin researching the policies and benefits of school districts where you think you'd like to teach. It would not be unusual for you to ask what benefits they provide, and with what companies. From there, it's an easy step to call the companies anonymously and ask them about their sign-up procedures. You may be pleasantly surprised about signing up for group health insurance and group life insurance programs.

Previous
Dried Blood?
Next
Policy question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.