Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV+ in a small company
Sep 30, 2002

I just started with a very small company and I read several of your postings regarding HIV and disclosure in the workplace before submitting my application for insurance. I did not feel comfortable threatening and attorney, but I did feel comfortable attaching the following letter: Dear N___: As acting HR reresentative for <my company>, I am sure you encounter numerous and varied medical histories and personal information. My case is no different and I have complete trust and the expectation that any confidential information I share on my application for insurance as required by <my company's insurer> will go directly to them and be kept in the strictest confidence. Because of my condition, it is very important that I maintain strict adherence to prescribed medications and any information you need to make the transition smootheris readily available from me. I have been covered by <old insurer> since March and can easily obtain a HIPPA letter to verify continuous coverage since 1997. The HIPPA letter will nullify any pre-existing condition waiting periods required by <company's insurer>. If you have any questions regarding my application, I will be happy to discuss them with you in confidence.

I attached this letter to my application in a sealed envelope and turned it in. Is this enough? Do I need to preplan legally? I am very nervous about all this!!

Many thanks! Danny

Response from Ms. Breuer

Dear Danny, Hooray! It's so great to see someone charting a course through the insurance stuff rather than just waiting to see what happens. You're doing it right. The only question I have is about "and any information you need to make the transition smoother is readily available from me." Do you really need this phrase? If I'm correct in assuming that the transition you refer to is from your old job and insurer to your new ones, you might just want to say that you look forward to working with him/her to make the transition to the new job and health plan go smoothly. I'm sure the form asks for plenty of information. Rather than offering more, I'd recommend offering a spirit of cooperation and dedication to doing the new job really well. You can never lose by focusing on the job rather than on the medical condition. If the recipient follows up by asking for more information, always ask why it's needed. Often it's just curiosity. In your questions and answers, always focus on the essential functions of your job, not the details of your diagnosis.

Good luck and congratulations! I think you're going to be fine.

Best regards, Nancy Breuer

Previous
The Temptational Scare
Next
Medical confidentiality

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.