|What does a self-insured plan mean?
Sep 24, 2002
Could you explain to me exactly what is meant by self-insured medical coverage? I have heard this tossed around my office lately since my company is possibly changing insurance carriers. How would this effect my coverage since I am HIV positive?
| Response from Ms. Franzoi
A self-insured plan is one that is not insured by an insurance company. In an insured plan, the employer pays a premium to the insurance company and the insurance company has the liability for all claims. In a self-insured plan, the employer pays the insurance company or a third party administrator to administer the plan but the employer pays all of the claims, i.e., the administrator charges the employer an administrative fee plus the cost of actual claims.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Chest Cold After Oral Sex With No Protection Does It Mean I Have HIV
- Dizziness After Vaginal Sex Without Condom Does It Mean I Have HIV
- Enlarged Lymph Nodes After Unprotected Vaginal Sex Worried I Have HIV
- Itchy Vagina After Touching Used Condom Sign Of HIV AIDS
- Swollen Lymph Nodes After Masturbation Worried I Have HIV
- Tingling Lips After Touching Vagina Worried I Have HIV
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.