Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Employer xclld insurance; denied by risk pool
Sep 23, 2002

We live in Texas, and I am beginning to think we have no options left. My husband's employer cancelled the insurance (only 20 employees, so no COBRA available), but to offset the cost of getting individual insurance, they are giving everyone 200 employee only/400 employee and family in pre-tax money. Well, I tried the HIPAA route for an individual policy and was told that TX has a risk pool, so there is no individual HIPAA policy available. So we applied with the risk pool, but we were denied because the employer is giving everyone pre-tax money, which creates a small group. This leaves my husband without insurance. Is there anything else out there, or am I going to have to get a job? (Which has been unsuccessful so far finding one with benefits!) Please help! We are 19 days into our 63 without coverage! (By the way, my husband is HIV positive, but does not have AIDS)

Response from Ms. Franzoi

I am not familiar with Texas law but it does surpise me that insurance companies in Texas don't have to offer a HIPAA policy if they have a risk pool. I am basing this on my understanding of state requirements and that is that a state must implement: (1)a law that follows either the NAIC Small Employer and Individual Health Insurance Availability Model Act or the Individual Health Insurance Portability Model Act - both adopted by NAIC on June 3,1996; and (2) a qualfied high risk pool; or (3) an alternate availability mechanism. I suggest that you contact a legl aid organization to find out what the law is in Texas and what your rights are. Your only other option would be to find a job in which you are offered benefits, including medical coverage for you and your dependents.

Previous
Can Company Be Denied Coverage for 1 HIV+ Employee
Next
Returning to work after being on Disability

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.