Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

metal coat hanger scratches (worried mum!!!!)
Sep 19, 2002

Dear Expert

My daughter who is 15 has just started some casual work with a clothing retail Company. When they have to put the clothes back for show, thay have been taught to place about 20 or more hangers on their arms and take them back that way. Because of this fmy daughter comes home every day she works with her left arm all scratched and inflamed, someti8mes even with blood. I am very concerned about this practice and am wondering if there is a possibility of contracting either Hepatitis B or HIV if one of the other workers has also scrathed themselves previously and has any of these conditions.

I am worried sick and have asked my daughter to leave but she thinks I am being paranoid. Please advise

Worried Mum!!!

Response from Ms. Breuer

HIV, no. Hepatitis, a remote possibility if a positive co-worker bled on the same hanger and your daughter's blood came into contact with the dried blood on the hanger. It's a remote chance, but why not just eliminate it by putting a denim or canvas sleeve over her arm when she needs to carry these hangers? Why come home scratched up and bleeding when it's not necessary?

Previous
Won't let him return to work with restrictions
Next
help please work issue

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.