Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

renee_red@hotmail.com
Sep 19, 2002

Hello,

I am an aerobics instructor, I have some questions to ask. If a lady stepped on one drop of menstrual blood in the loo (with her shoes on) and later transfer this stain from her shoe to other areas of the gym as she walks. Can this be a way that HIV can be transmitted, through these little blood stains on the gym area. I am worried as :

1) we drop our towels on the floor sometimes as we workout, and proceed to wipe on eyes or lips areas.

2) We change into our tight body suits barefooted, if the stains from my foot (if i happened to step on these little stains that was tranferred on gym areas by the lady) soiled on the crotch area of the suit as we are pulling up those tite fitting pants, will tat infect me? as it contact the vagina.Sometimes People walk into the changing room with their shoes on.

i know the virus cannot survive long (only a few minutes), but anything can happen in a few minutes.i cannot control people who are walking around.

Please advise, thanks so much

Response from Ms. Breuer

The scenarios you describe are not transmission scenarios. HIV transmission requires direct contact between infected blood and the bloodstream or mucous membranes of an uninfected person. I urge you to read the transmission section of this website to become much more familiar with transmission--and much more comfortable with your job!

Previous
nurses who draw blood.
Next
can I get a job with HIV+?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.