renee_red@hotmail.com

I am an aerobics instructor, I have some questions to ask. If a lady stepped on one drop of menstrual blood in the loo (with her shoes on) and later transfer this stain from her shoe to other areas of the gym as she walks. Can this be a way that HIV can be transmitted, through these little blood stains on the gym area. I am worried as :

1) we drop our towels on the floor sometimes as we workout, and proceed to wipe on eyes or lips areas.

2) We change into our tight body suits barefooted, if the stains from my foot (if i happened to step on these little stains that was tranferred on gym areas by the lady) soiled on the crotch area of the suit as we are pulling up those tite fitting pants, will tat infect me? as it contact the vagina.Sometimes People walk into the changing room with their shoes on.

i know the virus cannot survive long (only a few minutes), but anything can happen in a few minutes.i cannot control people who are walking around.

Please advise, thanks so much

Response from Ms. Breuer

The scenarios you describe are not transmission scenarios. HIV transmission requires direct contact between infected blood and the bloodstream or mucous membranes of an uninfected person. I urge you to read the transmission section of this website to become much more familiar with transmission--and much more comfortable with your job!

nurses who draw blood.
can I get a job with HIV+?