Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Report of Children's HIV status by Pediatrician
Sep 18, 2002

Hi, Nancy,

My 5 year old daughter has probably been infected by my spouse or me by some unknown contact (we couldn't figure it out--we were just infected probably for 6-7 weeks). We are scared to test her because every expert told us that HIV can not be transmitted by casual contact and we are fraid that if she tested positive, will her pediatrician report this to police and suspect we sexually abused our children? Please tellme what to expect after the positive test. Very scared parent

Response from Ms. Breuer

Your fear of having infected your own child is certainly understandable, but it may be running away with you. YOu can set your mind at ease by having your daughter tested at an anonymous testing site. You will need to go with her, but you do not have to use her name or yours. If, against all odds, you do find that she has HIV, your pediatrician will be required to report the case to the public health dept, which will initiate an investigation on behalf of the Centers for Disease Control to determine how she became infected. THe police scenario you describe is the voice of your fears running away with you. Please put your mind at ease by having her tested.

Previous
My peer councelor is a tattle tale
Next
Hiv positive employee threating to sue over termination, but there are two sides to the story

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.