Report of Children's HIV status by Pediatrician

Hi, Nancy,

My 5 year old daughter has probably been infected by my spouse or me by some unknown contact (we couldn't figure it out--we were just infected probably for 6-7 weeks). We are scared to test her because every expert told us that HIV can not be transmitted by casual contact and we are fraid that if she tested positive, will her pediatrician report this to police and suspect we sexually abused our children? Please tellme what to expect after the positive test. Very scared parent

Response from Ms. Breuer

Your fear of having infected your own child is certainly understandable, but it may be running away with you. YOu can set your mind at ease by having your daughter tested at an anonymous testing site. You will need to go with her, but you do not have to use her name or yours. If, against all odds, you do find that she has HIV, your pediatrician will be required to report the case to the public health dept, which will initiate an investigation on behalf of the Centers for Disease Control to determine how she became infected. THe police scenario you describe is the voice of your fears running away with you. Please put your mind at ease by having her tested.

My peer councelor is a tattle tale
Hiv positive employee threating to sue over termination, but there are two sides to the story