Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

My peer councelor is a tattle tale
Sep 18, 2002

I work in a 911 communications center, after testing HIV+, I confided in my supervisor (which is also trained as the Dept. Peer Counselor) only due to the fact of some health issues in the work place (I.E. always assigning sick people to take over stations so others can go on their breaks). I explained to her that I needed to talk to her in an Employee/Counselor capacity and that she canot tell anyone else, even her husband (who works at the center) 2 days later I was called up and told we were having a department meeting. When I arrived, I was informed that she told the Operations Superintendent who in-turn went and told his supervisorand then took the matter up with the City Attorney. When asked, they cannot tell me who else now knows because they don't know who else was told. Her reasoning behind her telling others was she was worried about other not wanting to work at my station 'IF' they found out about my HIV status. At this time, an ulcer that has not acted up in along time is bothering me as well as sleeping problems and my pride in my work is suffering. What should I do?

Response from Ms. Breuer

Your rights as a city employee have been violated. Go to the city attorney about your concerns. Yes, directly. Ask for an appointment to discuss violation of your privacy rights. And if the city attorney tries to blow you off, get your own attorney, through your local AIDS service organization. There is no excuse for any city employee being treated this way in 2002.

Do you have a union? A shop steward? If so, involve that person. Many union personnel are now well-educated about HIV and could talk circles around your ill-advised supervisor.

Previous
Risk?
Next
Report of Children's HIV status by Pediatrician

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.